Happy 8th Birthday Maya!
On September 7, 2012, Maya was baptized in the Jordan River.
Before we moved to Jerusalem, we anticipated this event and it was a highlight we all looked forward to. Being baptized in the Jordan River, probably close to where Jesus was baptized, is a unique and special event.
We were blessed to be able to time visits from both sets of Grandparents.
Elizabeth's parents came from Wyoming in August and stayed until the baptism.
Kevin's parents flew in from New York two days before and visited after.
What a treat!
Maya was joined by a friend from Tel Aviv, Jessica, who was baptized after her.
Many friends from Jerusalem and Tel Aviv joined our families.
We gathered on some mostly shaded steps for a short program before the baptism.
There were some unanticipated guests.
The flies were intense - large, loud and abundant.
It was a toasty day, but it could have been worse.
This part of the Jordan River is close to the Dead Sea, 1380 feet below sea level.
The temperature was in the upper 90s and surprisingly humid for a desert.
(Jerusalem sits in the tops of the mountains - around 2480 feet above sea level.
It is quite the descent to get down to the Jordan River.)
The view from where we were sitting.
After spying how dirty and slimy the water is and realizing that there were
tadpoles and little fish swimming along the edge and around Kevin's feet,
Maya had second thoughts. But, she persevered!
Her face says it all. . .
Walter, waiting to leave.
Lest you think the Jordan River is a tropical paradise (based on the Israelis strategic planing of palm trees and landscaping), this is the view from the parking lot looking west toward Jerusalem. (The river is behind me.) It is barren, desolate, hot and uninviting. I have new respect for John the Baptist. How could anyone survive in a place like this!
Turning around, this is the view back toward the river. The green in the distance is the tops of the trees, which hug the Jordan River and survive because of its life-giving water.
The yellow sign on the fence warns of danger. The Jordan River is the boundary between Jordan and the West Bank (Israel). This area used to be a minefield. The road leading down to the baptismal site and the site itself have been cleared, but leaving this "safe" area could pose physical threats to your safety.
The spiritual corollary is quite remarkable.













This is so neat. I got goosebumps just reading through and looking at the pictures. What a cool expereience to have, and even cooler that your parents were able to be a part of it! I'm sending your whole family lots of hugs!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing opportunity and oh how we wish we could have been there! Maya looks beautiful (the whole family looks wonderful) and I'm glad she persevered and got baptized. Happy birthday to her and lots of love from our family!
ReplyDeleteA says, "Hi Maya, congratulations on getting baptized. That's a really special event. I can't believe you got baptized around where Jesus got baptized!"
That is an amazing experience Elizabeth! I'm so glad you documented that. Could I share that with my Primary kids?
ReplyDeleteOf course!
DeleteWhat a very neat experience!! I know your parents had a great time visiting with you. I hope you are plenty safe with all the latest upheaval in the area.
ReplyDelete